The goings on in and around Bridgend

Coastal heroes: An interview with Sean Warrington

In the first of our new series of interviews with Bridgend County's Coastal Heroes, we speak to Porthcawl Harbourmaster Sean Warrington about his job and how he's seen the coastline develop over the past five years.

Sean Warrington

What is your job role and how did you start?
I'm the Harbourmaster based in Porthcawl, which means that I am responsible for managing the day-to-day operations at Porthcawl harbour, as well as managing lifeguard provisions and Blue Flag compliance for our harbour and beaches. We currently have two Blue Flag beaches here in Bridgend County - Rest Bay and Trecco Bay.

I started in the role in 2013, which means I'm coming up for five years. I'm originally from West Wales, where my father ran a marina and where I started working through the summer at the age of 16. I moved to Cardiff to study at university but moved back afterwards to take up the role as a Haven Master in a marina. I then back to Cardiff and started as a Berthing Master at Penarth Marina where I worked for two to three years before moving to my current role in Bridgend County.

What does an average day look like for you?
It really depends on the season. During the warmer months I spend a lot of time at the marina, making sure that all the boats are safe and secure, and that the site is clean and tidy for visitors and tenants of the Harbourside.

I also help oversee the provision of lifeguards across Bridgend County's beaches. Along with the Beach & Water Safety Officer we have access to a team of over 40 part-time lifeguards dedicated to making our beaches safe. We're finding that Rest Bay is becoming more and more popular with visitors, which isn't surprising when you consider that it is the closest surf beach to Cardiff, London and many towns and cities in between. Bridgend County is very lucky to have such great natural resources on the doorstep and it is essential that families and beach users feel safe when visiting.

How have you seen the local coastline develop?
The coastline has developed massively in five years. When I first joined, in 2013, it was my job to oversee the final stage of the harbour's transition into a small marina. The harbour originally only had swing moorings accommodating around 20-25 boats. Turning it into a small marina involved the installation of a floating pontoon system accommodating up to 70 boats. Up until 2013 visiting vessels had nowhere to berth safely but the marina now regularly accommodates guests from North Devon, Bristol, Pembrokeshire and Cardiff who visit the area to go out for a meal, check out the local bars, visit the beaches and walk the coastal path. Many of which return every year.

The introduction of the marina has been a catalyst for redevelopment in the area, seen most recently with the unveiling of the new Jennings Building. The harbourside now offers more for the community and there's no doubt footfall to the area has increased as a result. It has become very popular with families and those looking for a relaxed evening stroll.

There's a lot of exciting activity in Porthcawl at the moment - there are new developments from Porthcawl Harbourside CIC and a refurbishment of the harbour kiosk. There's also plans for a Rest Bay Watersports Centre with changing areas and a teaching area for local surf schools.

What are your favourite coastal activities?
I think the area has some really great coastal walks. I like to park near Kenfig Nature Reserve and walk across to Rest Bay via Sker Point at the south end of Kenfig Sands. This also offers the chance to pop into the historic Prince of Wales pub in Kenfig. I also like the route along the dunes from Newton towards the mouth of the Ogmore River.

21 comments for “Coastal heroes: An interview with Sean Warrington”

1. Posted 22 Chwefror 2018 at 09:27:20

If any person knows the name of the coastal village or any kind of location in which the “Moonraker" of James Bond book is set? If any person be familiar with the name of the lighthouse I would be very thankful!

2. Posted 27 Chwefror 2018 at 10:39:52

Well Thanks For Posting Such An Outstanding Idea. I Like This Blog & I Like The Topic And Thinking Of Making It Right.

3. Posted 27 Chwefror 2018 at 11:38:44

Things Are Very Open And Intensely Clear Explanation Of Issues. Was Truly Information. Your Website Is Very Beneficial.

4. Posted 5 Mawrth 2018 at 10:18:54

This is hard job to manage the Blue Flag compliancer and beaches. Sean Warrington works so hard at Porthcawl harbour. These are really hard tasks to manage at Porthcawl harbour.

5. Posted 9 Mawrth 2018 at 04:50:22

Their work will not just meet, but exceed you and your instructor’s expectations.

6. Posted 13 Mawrth 2018 at 15:44:56

This interview was great to read. I love Sean Warrington and I hope that one day he can write me a essay because I love his writing skills a lot. He has the potential to become one of the best.

7. Posted 14 Mawrth 2018 at 12:09:36

Sean Warrington has been working for years in Porthcawl. It is really hard job to manage on regular basis. The coastline was developed in 1900. It took 10 years to complete it.

8. Posted 4 Ebrill 2018 at 08:12:08

This is very great and brilliant information.

9. Posted 16 Ebrill 2018 at 10:45:34

A war hero praised for his bravery in Iraq died after being buried under an avalanche while on a skiing training exercise. Senior Aircraftman Paul Ma honey,down a slope. However, an inquest into SAC Ma honey's death, held at Warring ton Coroners' Court yesterday, recorded a verdict of accidental death.

10. Posted 8 Mai 2018 at 08:24:31

Thank you for posting such a great article! I found your website perfect for my needs

11. Posted 23 Mai 2018 at 14:28:08

That's a great interview.

12. Posted 29 Mai 2018 at 06:07:43

I am happy to visit this website

13. Posted 9 Gorffennaf 2018 at 13:09:33

It was a decent post in reality. I altogether delighted in understanding it in my lunch time. Will without a doubt come and visit this blog all the more frequently. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing.

14. Posted 10 Gorffennaf 2018 at 10:32:11

Hello. Thank you for the interesting article. Immediately visible, the author in his student years himself did college homework and learned to write essays.
    It's great when a person could find himself in this life and can do what he likes. Then his work ceases to weigh him and he begins to enjoy himself doing what he likes ...

15. Posted 12 Gorffennaf 2018 at 06:52:56

Thanx for sharing such useful post keep it up :)

16. Posted 12 Gorffennaf 2018 at 08:07:02

Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very beneficial.

17. Posted 12 Gorffennaf 2018 at 12:01:30

Pretty helpful material, much thanks for this article

18. Posted 15 Gorffennaf 2018 at 09:31:15

when i was a kid, i love to receive an assortment of birthday presents like teddy bears and mechanical toys,.

19. Posted 22 Gorffennaf 2018 at 07:53:32

I truly welcome this superb post that you have accommodated us. I guarantee this would be valuable for the vast majority of the general population.

20. Posted 24 Gorffennaf 2018 at 10:34:14

I appreciate the way post is described , it is very easy to grab the information that is mentioned. it will definitely help many people.thanks

21. Posted 27 Gorffennaf 2018 at 11:20:30